From Brook Trout to Block: Creating the Virginia State Quilt Block
Your clicks and purchases help support free patterns on Canary Quilts at no extra charge to you.
On this significant day, September 14, 2023, we are thrilled to introduce the Virginia State Quilt Block tutorial in celebration of National Virginia State Day! Dedicated to preserving the storied tradition of quilt blocks in every state, we have taken meticulous steps to break down this block, ensuring that quilters of all proficiency levels can take part and discover delight in the process. Through our simplified method, you now have the chance to create the Virginia State Quilt Block, transforming it into an enjoyable and gratifying project. Immerse yourself in Virginia’s captivating shades as you stitch together this exceptional quilt block, capturing the true essence of the Old Dominion State in your quilting masterpiece. Prepare to quilt with pride and pay homage to Virginia’s artistic legacy on this noteworthy occasion.
Embark on a quilting odyssey as we venture into a captivating journey through time, delving into the intricate mosaic of historical heritage and artistic legacy that has shaped the enduring beauty of quilting. Within this enthralling expedition, we warmly welcome you to join us as we dive into the heartwarming tale of the Hearth and Home quilting project—an extraordinary initiative that united quilters from all corners of the United States during the early 1900s.
Today, our exploration turns to the enchanting state of Virginia, where history and imagination converge to unveil the Virginia State Quilt Block. This exquisite design takes inspiration from the allure of the brook trout, Virginia’s cherished state fish. Skillfully blending contrasting tones, including the vibrant shades of the brook trout’s scales and the cool, calming hues of the water, infuses vitality into this captivating quilt block, turning it into a spectacle of sheer grandeur.
Embark with us on this journey deep into the heart of quilting – a domain where history, creativity, and legacy merge harmoniously. Together, let’s infuse vitality into the Virginia State Quilt Block, advancing step by step, stitch by stitch. Uncover the profound satisfaction that arises from crafting a tangible piece of history, one destined to endure and reverberate throughout generations.
Stay engaged for upcoming state block tutorials as we persist in commemorating the quilt block heritage of every state, sharing the diverse beauty and essence of America, one block at a time! Happy quilting!
You can find the cutting instructions and templates for this block below, so let’s dive right in! The pattern incorporates rotary cutting guidelines and templates if you opt to print the pattern.
- Rotating Cutting Board (0ptional) – to help turn your pieces without touching them.
- Quilt ruler: Ensure you have a quilt ruler on hand, as it will help in drawing precise lines and measurements.
- Marking Pens – I like Frixion because they erase with heat.
Step 1 – Grab the templates and cut pieces
Before progressing further, it’s crucial to possess precise cutting instructions. You can easily access these guidelines in our free resource library, a valuable collection of information. There, you’ll find the cutting instructions ready for your use.
Check out my video tutorial if you need help with cutting the pieces.
Step 2 – Layout your Block Pieces and start with the Center Block
To create the corners, gather the A, B, and D pieces. Begin by attaching the D piece to the A piece, ensuring that you iron the seam towards the D piece.
Next, you’ll need to affix the B piece to two of the A/D combinations with the D piece positioned at the bottom, while the other two A/D pieces will have the B piece on the left side, also with the D piece at the bottom. Iron the seams towards the B piece.
Step 3 – Creating the Stitch and Flip Sections
To craft these sections, you’ll need to assemble pieces C and E. Start by drawing a diagonal line on all the C pieces. These C pieces will be sewn onto the E pieces with their diagonals parallel, forming the stitch and flip sections.
You’ll end up with four of the C/E sections where the diagonal goes from the top left to the bottom right, and four sections where the diagonal runs from the top right to the bottom left.
For the stitch and flip process, follow these steps:
- Sew along the drawn diagonal line on each C/E pair.
- Trim the excess fabric, leaving approximately 1/4″ from the seam.
- Iron the seam allowance towards the corner.
Next, assemble these sections by aligning the upper parts of the stitch and flip seams. Sew these sections together, making sure the seams match up, and then iron the seams open. You will end up with four of these center sections.
Step 4 – Assembling the Center Block
In this section, you’ll need pieces F, G, H, and I. Follow these steps to assemble the center block:
- Lay out your pieces in the following order:
- Place the I piece in the middle.
- Lay the H piece next to I.
- Position the G piece next to H.
- Finally, place the F piece in the corner next to G.
- Start by locating the centers of the I and H pieces. Line up these centers and edges, then sew them together. After sewing, iron the seams open.
- Repeat this process to sew on the G and F pieces in the same manner. Align the centers and edges, sew, and then iron the seams open.
- Once all the pieces are sewn together, the edges should form a straight and even square. At this point, you can trim this block to a 4 1/2″ square to ensure it’s the correct size and shape.
Step 5 – Assembling the Block
Here are the assembly instructions:
- Sew the rows together, iron away from the stitch and flip sections.
- Once the rows are together, line up the seams.
- Sew and iron towards the center row: Carefully sew the rows together, ensuring that the seams align. After sewing, iron the seams towards the center row.
As we draw near to the conclusion of our journey, we find ourselves fully immersed in the captivating realm of the Virginia State Quilt Block. Originating in the early 1900s, particularly within the Hearth and Home quilting project, our contemporary interpretation of this block encapsulates both the rich artistic heritage and profound identity of the Old Dominion State. Through the meticulous assembly of this exquisite block, we’ve drawn inspiration from Virginia’s cherished state symbol, the Brook Trout. This artistic embodiment has empowered us to fashion a masterpiece that genuinely pays homage to the state’s inherent allure.
In the course of this creative odyssey, we’ve come to realize that quilting transcends being a mere craft; it’s a medium of self-expression that seamlessly weaves history, tradition, and heartfelt dedication. The Virginia State Quilt Block stands as a testament to unity and camaraderie, fostering a space where quilters from all walks of life come together to honor the enduring legacy of this beloved art form.
To stay updated about our upcoming blocks in this captivating quilting journey, there are two avenues through which you can stay connected. You can either subscribe to our YouTube channel or register for our newsletter below.
- YouTube Subscription: Subscribe to our YouTube channel and click the notification bell icon to receive updates whenever we publish a new block tutorial or any other exciting content. By subscribing, you’ll never miss a beat and will always be in the loop with our quilting journey.
- Newsletter Subscription: Enter your email address in the form below to sign up for our newsletter. By subscribing, you’ll receive regular updates, including announcements about new block releases, exclusive content, tips, and more. Stay connected and be the first to know about the latest developments in our quilting adventure.
Looking for great buys!
Fabrics, machines and threads like I use in my projects Check out these links.
This is affiliate advertisement. Please see FTC Disclosure here: https://canaryquilts.com/ftc-disclosure-state