New Hampshire State Quilt Block From Lilac to Patchwork Tutorial
Your clicks and purchases help support free patterns on Canary Quilts at no extra charge to you.
On this significant day, September 7, 2023, we are delighted to introduce the New Hampshire State Quilt Block tutorial in celebration of National New Hampshire State Day! Dedicated to preserving the storied tradition of quilt blocks in every state, we have taken meticulous steps to break down this block, ensuring that quilters of all proficiency levels can take part and discover delight in the process. Through our simplified method, you now have the chance to create the New Hampshire State Quilt Block, transforming it into an enjoyable and gratifying project. Immerse yourself in New Hampshire’s captivating shades as you stitch together this exceptional quilt block, capturing the true essence of the Granite State in your quilting masterpiece. Prepare to quilt with pride and pay homage to New Hampshire’s artistic legacy on this noteworthy occasion.
Embark on a quilting odyssey as we venture into a captivating journey through time, delving into the intricate mosaic of historical heritage and artistic legacy that has shaped the enduring beauty of quilting. Within this enthralling expedition, we warmly welcome you to join us as we dive into the heartwarming tale of the Hearth and Home quilting project—an extraordinary initiative that united quilters from all corners of the United States during the early 1900s.
Today, our exploration turns to the enchanting state of New Hampshire, where history and imagination converge to unveil the New Hampshire State Quilt Block. This exquisite design takes inspiration from the allure of the lilac, New Hampshire’s cherished state flower. Skillfully blending contrasting tones, including the delicate, vibrant shades of purple and green, infuses vitality into this captivating quilt block, turning it into a spectacle of sheer grandeur.
Embark with us on this journey deep into the heart of quilting – a domain where history, creativity, and legacy merge harmoniously. Together, let’s infuse vitality into the New Hampshire State Quilt Block, advancing step by step, stitch by stitch. Uncover the profound satisfaction that arises from crafting a tangible piece of history, one destined to endure and reverberate throughout generations.
Stay engaged for upcoming state block tutorials as we persist in commemorating the quilt block heritage of every state, sharing the diverse beauty and essence of America, one block at a time! Happy quilting!
You can find the cutting instructions and templates for this block below, so let’s dive right in! The pattern incorporates rotary cutting guidelines and templates if you opt to print the pattern.
Gather the necessary supplies:
- Rotating Cutting Board (0ptional) – to help turn your pieces without touching them.
- Quilt ruler: Ensure you have a quilt ruler on hand, as it will help in drawing precise lines and measurements.
- Marking Pens – I like Frixion because they erase with heat.
Step 1 – Grab the templates and cut pieces
Before progressing further, it’s crucial to possess precise cutting instructions. You can easily access these guidelines in our free resource library, a valuable collection of information. There, you’ll find the cutting instructions ready for your use.
Check out my video tutorial if you need help with cutting the pieces.
Once all the pieces are meticulously prepared, come back to this point for the next phase of assembling the block.
Step 1 – Arrange the two sets of triangles by colorway
We will construct six identical triangles using the pieces we’ve cut, with three triangles from each colorway. Begin by arranging the pieces according to the key diagram provided in the cutting instructions, which will guide you on where to place each piece. Below, you’ll also find a picture displaying the two colorways for reference.
Step 2 – Construct the triangle
To assemble the triangle, we will create a long side, a medium side, and then attach the short side to the inner triangle.
Step 2 – Construct the triangle. To assemble the triangle, we will create a long side, a medium side, and then attach the short side to the inner triangle.
- Begin by sewing together pieces F, G, and B to form the long side.
- Next, stitch pieces D and C together to create the medium side.
- Now, attach piece H to piece I to initiate the triangle’s construction.
Ensure that you iron all seams in the direction indicated by the arrows in the diagram below for a smooth assembly.
Once you’ve completed the three sections mentioned above, it’s time to assemble your triangles. Follow these steps:
- Take the medium side (pieces D, C) and align it with the bottom of the (H, I) section you previously constructed. Leave tails on each side to ensure that point D lines up with piece I.
- Iron the seams in the direction indicated by the arrows in the diagram below for a smooth and precise assembly.
Next, you will add the long side to complete your triangles. Be sure to leave tails on each side to ensure that the B and F pieces align with the I piece in the center. Repeat this process to create three triangles of each colorway.
Step 3 – Assemble the triangles to complete the inside of the block.
Arrange your newly created triangles according to the diagram provided below. We will sew three triangles together to form one half of the block. Eventually, we will have two halves of the block that we will then join together to complete the center. Please note that the diagrams below indicate the direction in which to iron each seam as we assemble the block.
Step 4 – Adding the Corners
Now, let’s incorporate the E pieces, which are the corners of the block. Follow these instructions carefully, as the colors are essential for proper placement:
- Align the E pieces as indicated below, paying close attention to the color placement.
- Position the E pieces on the appropriate side of the center section, leaving tails on each side for sewing.
- Sew the E pieces onto the center section, ensuring they are placed correctly, and follow the designated direction for ironing.
- After adding the corners, measure your block. If it doesn’t measure 12.5″ square, you’ll need to add borders to achieve the desired size. I cut 1.5″ wide strips for my borders so I had enough to work with when trimming to 12.5″.
- To match the corner colors, consider using two colors sewn together for the short sides of your border.
- If needed cut a long strip for the bottom and top of the block that match the colors of the corners.
- Once you have completed the borders, center the block and trim it to a final size of 12.5″.
These steps will ensure your block is properly constructed and finished to the specified dimensions.
As we draw near to the conclusion of our journey, we find ourselves fully immersed in the captivating realm of the New Hampshire State Quilt Block. Originating in the early 1900s, particularly within the Hearth and Home quilting project, our contemporary interpretation of this block encapsulates both the rich artistic heritage and profound identity of the Granite State. Through the meticulous assembly of this exquisite block, we’ve drawn inspiration from New Hampshire’s cherished state symbol, The Lilac. This artistic embodiment has empowered us to fashion a masterpiece that genuinely pays homage to the state’s inherent allure.
In the course of this creative odyssey, we’ve come to realize that quilting transcends being a mere craft; it’s a medium of self-expression that seamlessly weaves history, tradition, and heartfelt dedication. The New Hampshire State Quilt Block stands as a testament to unity and camaraderie, fostering a space where quilters from all walks of life come together to honor the enduring legacy of this beloved art form.
To stay updated about our upcoming blocks in this captivating quilting journey, there are two avenues through which you can stay connected. You can either subscribe to our YouTube channel or register for our newsletter below.
- YouTube Subscription: Subscribe to our YouTube channel and click the notification bell icon to receive updates whenever we publish a new block tutorial or any other exciting content. By subscribing, you’ll never miss a beat and will always be in the loop with our quilting journey.
- Newsletter Subscription: Enter your email address in the form below to sign up for our newsletter. By subscribing, you’ll receive regular updates, including announcements about new block releases, exclusive content, tips, and more. Stay connected and be the first to know about the latest developments in our quilting adventure.
Looking for great buys!
Fabrics, machines and threads like I use in my projects Check out these links.
This is affiliate advertisement. Please see FTC Disclosure here: https://canaryquilts.com/ftc-disclosure-state